Travelers at Pittsburgh International Airport will soon get more nonstop flights to one of the region’s most popular West Coast destinations.
Doubling down on SFO: Beginning Aug. 1, United Airlines will add an additional daily flight between Pittsburgh and San Francisco, restoring twice-daily service to the market for the first time since before the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The new flight will bring back a daytime option for travelers heading to the Bay Area. The outbound flight will depart from Pittsburgh at 7:30 p.m. local time and arrive in San Francisco at 9:53 p.m. The return flight will depart San Francisco at 10:35 a.m. local time and arrive back in Pittsburgh at 6:28 p.m.
- The daytime flight will complement United’s existing daily flight, which offers a morning departure to San Francisco and a redeye return to Pittsburgh.
- The added service to SFO bolsters Pittsburgh’s West Coast offerings, which also include Alaska Airlines’ twice-daily flights to Seattle, service to Los Angeles on Spirit Airlines and Breeze Airways, and Breeze’s seasonal flights to Orange County, Calif.
Tech connection: The return of twice-daily service is a big win for Pittsburgh’s rapidly growing technology sector.
- “We are encouraged to see more flights being added to important business and technology destinations, especially the West Coast,” said Jonathan Kersting, vice president, communications and media, at the Pittsburgh Tech Council. “Our technology ecosystem relies on seamless access to investors, partners and customers. These types of connections are vital for continued growth.”
- Numerous tech giants based in Silicon Valley, just south of SFO, have built outposts in the Pittsburgh region, including Apple, Google and Meta, and seek efficient travel options to and from their California headquarters.
Breeze expands Florida service: As United boosts Pittsburgh’s west coast service, Breeze Airways on Tuesday announced another new destination at PIT with the addition of Ft. Myers, Fla., to its network.
- Beginning Nov. 15, Breeze will commence seasonal, nonstop service to Southwest Florida International Airport. The new route will operate through next spring on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays with introductory one-way fares starting at $59.
- “With fall and winter quickly approaching, we know many people will be looking to travel to the great beaches and warmer weather Fort Myers has to offer,” said David Neeleman, founder and CEO of Breeze Airways, “This will be the third nonstop route from Pittsburgh to Florida and we hope that it will help our guests to more easily and affordably travel to and from the Sunshine State.”
- Breeze becomes the third airline to serve the Pittsburgh-Ft. Myers route, joining Southwest Airlines’ and Spirit’s daily flights.
Why it matters: Fort Myers becomes the 13th route flown from Pittsburgh by Breeze, which started with just four destinations less than two years ago.
- “Today’s announcement of the 13th route Breeze offers PIT passengers demonstrates the region’s growing demand for travel, which Breeze is matching,” said Christina Cassotis, CEO, Pittsburgh International Airport.
- “Florida is a big destination for our passengers, and we are confident this route will do well,” she said. “We’re grateful for our strong partnership with Breeze as well as its investment in our community and recognition in the value of our market.”