New quarterly rotating artwork by the Allegheny Metals Club, Hiromi Katayama and Melissa Riggatire has been installed in the Landside Transit and Ticketing Level display cases, as well as in Concourse C.
Through November, enjoy these installations that highlight local artists and feature traditional Japanese screen painting, more than 5,000 hand-foldpaper cranes, handmade jewelry and other pieces.
Video by Beth Hollerich
Additionally, artist-designed wallpaper has been installed in the Mothers’ Nursing Lounge in Concourse C. The wallpaper was produced by artist Ashley Cecil during her residency at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and features various animals nursing their young.
Pittsburgh International Airport’s Art in the Airport program is dedicated to showcasing a dynamic array of work produced by local, regional, national and international artists. The current interior exhibition spaces are designated for local and regional artists, and provide a sample of the Pittsburgh arts community within the airport.
Additionally, PIT features sculpture and installation work by renowned national and regional artists. The program is part of the airport’s commitment to creating a sense of place by connecting to the region it serves through offerings unique to Pittsburgh, including art, culture, cuisine, individuals and institutions.
Coming soon to the Art in the Airport program:
- Two sculptures by Thad Mosley will be exhibited in the Center Core in conjunction with the Carnegie International, one of the longest-running exhibitions of contemporary art in the U.S.
- Final designs are being refined for the parking lot wayfinding mural
- Selection is in process for new sculptures outside of Baggage Claim
- Conservation and cleaning is being conducted on the large aluminum sculpture “Renascence” by Ron Bennett at the airport’s roadway entrance
- New performers have been selected for the Performing Arts Series that will continue in the Center Core this fall
- Designs are in process for a permanent art gallery on the Airside Mezzanine level.